Sunday, September 14, 2008

Made in Taiwan







Lunch at Lai Lai Sheraton's "Ching Ke Lo" with my family (mom, dad, and younger brother). Featured: traditional "small eats" go new-age.
From top to bottom:
"Pi Dan" or "Thousand Year Egg" (preserved egg). An oldie-but-goodie appetizer finds itseld renewed by the presence of new "clothes", or spicy seaweed, wrapped around each egg wedge. Well-flavored. My family's favorite dish.
"Ciao Ciao Hua" or "Pig-Ear wrapped around Duck Tongue". A cheeky dish playing on words. In Mandarin, to conduct "ciao ciao hua" is to conduct a "secret talk." As disgusting as the ingredients may sound, this dish was quite tasty. Slices of the dish were incredibly thin--a good thin as I did not find myself making strange faces while consuming the ear cartilage. Not as well flavored as the egg dish, but still tasty.
"Su Er" or "Vegetarian Goose". Bean curd wrapped around a splendidly seasoned, finely shredded, vegetable mix. My mom mom really enjoyed this course.
"Seafood Lettuce Cups" or... hmm. I seem to have forgotten the Chinese name of this dish. A refreshing dish.
"Short Ribs and Glutinous Rice wrapped in Lotus Leaf" or in Chinese... again, I am at a loss. Two words? Food Coma. This dish was good, but I've had better. The textures were perfect, but the ribs lacked seasoning.
"Soup Dumplings" or "Tang Bao". Yum, yummy, yum.
I'll be back.

No comments: