Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Too Cool For School



I rarely hang out in Silverlake as I'm hardly cool or hip enough to do so; But last week, when my vintage-loving cousin was in town, I decided to venture beyond my comfort zone and spent an entire day mingling with Silverlake's boho-chic.

Our morning began at Casbah Cafe. I'd been there once and totally dug the Moroccan vibe but hadn't ordered any food, and was therefore, wary of putting in a review. This second time around, I ordered their sweet corn salad, mint tea and strawberry tart. (I shared with my cousin.) The salad was extremely fresh and refreshing - just as I'd hoped and expected. But what I didn't expect was the perfectly crusty and chewy consistency of the rolls that accompany the salad. YUM! The mint tea was also nice. Not as sweet as traditional Moroccan mint tea (yes, I've been), but still good. As for the strawberry tart, I don't think I'd ever order it again. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't all that great either.

An overall pleasant experience. We'd stopped on by around 11am, yet even at that hour, the cafe was already full of nerd-wannabes with books and laptops sprawled before them. My cousin and I sat outside and pretended that we weren't actually sitting at a cafe located alongside a big street when we actually were.

Great place to brunch/lunch if you plan on shopping in the neighborhood. Speaking of shopping, there's a shop within this cafe! I didn't get a chance the fare out though. Next time?!

Pictured: Hummus salad that Josh ordered the first time we went to Casbah Cafe.

Casbah Cafe
3900 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 664-7000

No comments: