Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Truly Special

Welcome to my first post. Here is part 1 of my first post.

Part 1

Imagine going to a small, lunch-time restaurant to grab a decent meal to go and it advertises a sign, "Special." At first, you don't really notice what's special about it, but eventually you notice it's something different every day and that it comes in a neat, black, compartmentalized container fitting for a bento box. Of course, you also realize that by the time you decide to order the "special" you understand one more reason it's special -- it's sold out. Of course, at this bento joint, instead of having obvious signs saying "Sold out," you see a small sticker affixed to the sign saying "Sorry."

The first time I tried to order the Special – it looked very interesting, with many different small tastes of fish, chicken, Chinese broccoli, among others – I was greeted with a verbal “Sorry” and then noticed the “Sorry” sign. Thereafter, I would head to lunch and see the “Sorry” sign affixed to the Special area. Each day, it’s a bit of a letdown that the highly coveted Special was already sold out.

Today, things were different. I left for lunch, looking to get a Tonkatsu and California Roll combo, and when I arrived, I saw the “Sorry” sign as usual. But this time, I noticed the “Sorry” was placed on another item. As I approached the ordering counter, I was in disbelief. I ordered the Special and awaited the usual “Sorry” but instead was given my order number and I awaited today’s special.

look for Part 2 later today

No comments: